[sclug] Mandrake

Tony Sumner whittycat at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 9 15:51:59 UTC 2004

There was a discussion a short while ago about distros and one
person (sorry, forgotten who) said that Mdk 9.1 was ok but Mdk 9.2
was a disaster. I have just installed Mdk 9.2 off the PC Format
cover disk (thinking it about time I tried an alternative to boring
old Red Hat) and I found it installed ok, and I installed OpenOffice
so that's ok as far as it goes but there are faults. The welcome
window has an icon 'Configure' but if you select it you get 'file
blah does not exist' which is less than impressive. Also emacs is
absent. There is an emacs rpm file on disk 2 and I installed it
and though there are now some emacs directories like /etc/emacs
the program itself is still missing. It should be in /usr/bin/emacs.
Does anyone actually _like_ Mandrake?

Tony Sumner