[sclug] Any thoughts on how to block these? (long-ish)

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 18:03:33 UTC 2004

I do something similar but simpler, again it works well against any new
tricks that spammers try:

I use spamassassin.

I have two mail folders called "almost certainly spam" and "probably
spam".  Procmail puts spam with a score of 15+ into the first, and 4-15
into the second (I could probably reduce this to 3-15).

I have two other mail folders, which Procmail doesn't touch, called
"spam-for-learning", and "notspam-for-learning".  Periodically I scan
the "almost certainly / probably spam" folders and invariably move
everything into "spam-for-learning" (I think I've had one false
positive in the 2-3 months I've been doing this).  I also move spam
that gets through SpamAssassin and into my inbox to
"spam-for-learning".
"notspam-for-learning" is effectively my trash folder - all non-spam
email is moved here when it's deleted.

Every so often - at least once a week and whenever I get a spam that's
passed the filter - I run sa-learn on * both * "spam-for-learning" and
"notspam-for-learning" (actually I move the mails out of their
c-client.mbx format mailbox into a standard mbox one using mailutil
first).  One day I'll look up how to use cron and automate this.

This works for me, despite having one email address that's been around
for 5+ years now (and despite my wife breaking the cardinal rule and
replying to some of the messages asking for them to stop).

HTH
James.

 --- Andy Arbon <sclug at andrewarbon.co.uk> wrote: > -----BEGIN PGP
SIGNED MESSAGE-----