[sclug] This months chit chat

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Thu Jan 15 14:59:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:33:43PM +0000, Daniel Lower wrote:
> - Simon Heywood talking to me about a new Debian Boot System
>   Can you remember the name now Simon? Runset Init Suite ring any
> bells?  or maybe you read it in this discussion "Replacing the Aging
> Init Procedure on Linux"

No, that's something else, by the sounds of it. I was thinking of
Richard Gooch's page -

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/

- which I found very interesting. (Hmm, what is it with people sticking
PayPal buttons on their website?) It was more of a suggestion than any
plan to replace the Debian boot scripts immediately. See this posting to
debian-devel -

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200401/msg00972.html

> - Useful Gadgets for giving a laptop a serial connection via USB
> there are Drivers for Linux apprently: http://www.keyspan.com/

Yep. I haven't actually tried mine out yet, but the box (amazingly) had
a penguin logo alongside the usual `designed for MS' stuff, and they
allege official kernel support from 2.4.22. I obtained mine from Amazon,
who act as broker for some wholesaler in the UK. Useful for those
irritatingly `legacy free' laptops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067TGW/202-7299399-2523815

S.