[sclug] Broadband

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:21:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Steve Tompkins wrote:

> Which Broadband ISP do you use?

NTL with Ethernet into eth0 on my Linux box, which is doing NAT and has an
iptables firewall.  The house network is on eth1 and eth2.

All works jubbly.  Except for NTL's DNS servers, which seem to be pants; I
run my own DNS server but have it resolving directly rather than
forwarding to NTL's (which I did have).

Very few outages and, because it's Ethernet [on the local side of the
cable modem; there is USB, too, but I don't use that], no messy drivers in
Linux.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK