[sclug] I'm looking at seven reasons not to download Debian...

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Thu Jan 22 08:58:27 UTC 2004

There is a cheaper way than a CD netinstall.

Just get the root.bin & rescue.bin floppy image from here:
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/images-
1.44/bf2.4/

You can even get driver-n.bin too (n = 1 - 4), but not really needed. Write
these to individual floopies using something like WinRaWrite (here:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm)

rescue is the boot disk, root is the other.

They support the 2.4.18bf-2.4 kernel (best for stable). The standard debian
stabel kernel is currently 2.2.something - so use the bf image.

If you want the bf image on cd it is here:
http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/

and choose the bf2.4-3.0.23-netinst.iso (top line within Netinst).

Once you have installed the base system, you may want to upgrade to
'testing' - as it will become stable within the quarter, and it is much more
up to date than stable. Or you could choose bleeding edge Unstable.

If you need help with anything - just shout!

HTH

Chris

believed to be clean.