[sclug] Broadband

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Jan 22 09:30:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:37:48PM +0000, Antony Bartlett wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> >If they're blocking the IPs used by dial-up and non-static assigned
> >ADSL/Broadband, etc. you can kind've see their point. People with
> >those accounts *shouldn't* be running mail servers or sending mail
> >direct IMHO.
> I guess I should ask why exactly shouldn't I be posting this from a
> residential non-static IP-address?  Because I *am*.

The BT Broadband offering (as distinct from ADSL with BT OpenWorld or
whatever that one is called) explicitly says they don't provide an SMTP
server and encourages people to use webmail etc instead.

> (neither my ISP - BT Broadband - or my host provide me with an SMTP
> server, so for the moment it's either that or hotmail)

Lots of people don't want the hassle of dealing with abuse requests for
outbound SMTP.  I can understand why BT provide this at a lower price
then.

"You spammed me!  I'm going to set my lawyers on you!"
"Er, no, this is a virus from Outlook, it didn't come anywhere near our
servers, see."
"EAT FLAMING LAWSUIT DEATH ISP!"

--
----------(    "You were able to grow John Barnett a new     )----------