[sclug] Building a kernel

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 22:20:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Bob Franklin wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Derek M Jones wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any recommendations?  There does not seem to be a
> > switch on everything and build option (there are a few warnings about
> > probing non-existent hardware during boot).
> >
> > What I really need is a program that probes my hardware and generates a
> > .config file specifically for it.  Pointers anybody?
>
> The biggest problem I have is making sure I include enough as static
> (rather than modules) so the damn thing boots from the SCSI disk which has
> the root filesystem on it, rather than have the module to run the SCSI
> card in /lib.

This is what initrd is for. ;-)

> However, it's still nice to compile up your own kernel with the latest
> iptables stuff in it.

Take your kernel's src.rpm (or whatever) and add the patch-o-matic netfilter
code to it. Works for me and keeps things simpler all in all.

>    - Bob

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?