[sclug] Video Editing

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Jul 11 16:50:20 UTC 2004

Scott Rixon wrote:
[...]
> Does anyone here do any 'simple' video editing?? I have an mpeg stream
> from my TV card that came from a simple camcorder...
>
> I want to play around with it. I am using Debian 'Sarge'. So I grabed
> Kino and Mjpegtools.. But it won't open. Click open and 'Invalid File
> Specified'

Kino's the best, but it only supports DV streams from digital camcorders.

You could use transcode to convert the mpeg stream into DV before
editing it with kino --- however, this will use loads of disk space
(4GB/minute, IIRC) plus you'll end up with decode/recode losses. If you
just want to do things like moving scenes around, then you may be better
off looking elsewhere.

You might want to give avidemux a try. It's more limited but will handle
a lot more different video types. Alternatively, if it's a simple MPEG1
or MPEG2 stream, mpgtx will let you split and splice mpeg streams from
the command line.

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com