[sclug] Routed IP/CIDR etc

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Jul 15 21:40:14 UTC 2004

'ello Chris

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:30:49PM +0100, Chris Aitken wrote:
> That would be what I was on about. But how does your router give the public
> IP to your iptables box? Is the box a DHCP client to the router?

In a word, yes.

It doesn't seem to work if I configure it statically for reasons that I
don't quite understand - I think it thinks unless it has the constant
DHCP traffic (cos it sets the lease really low) that my computer is off
so it shouldn't keep the PPP session up or something.

It's a bit broken is my router IMHO but I needed the public IP all the
way to my iptables box so I could get asterisk listening on the public
IP and my internal IP phone talking to it.  SIP and NAT yeuch.  Don't do
it kids :)

Simon.

--
Just another wannabie | 'Une pause s'impose' -- Gianny |  Just another fool