[sclug] Not upgrading kernel to 2.6

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Fri Jul 23 16:12:52 UTC 2004

* Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk> [2004-07-23 17:01:55]:

> I installed Fedora core 2 and found the rumours that
> is was flaky round the edges to be true.  I had enough
> minor problems to ditch it and return to RedHat 9.

Anything in particular? I've popped FC2 on a few boxen and despite a few
niggles here and there, it works fine. Perhaps you're tickling areas I'm
not... although these machines were finicky laptops.

> However,
> I did take a copy of /boot and was about to give it ago when
> I read the following:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/0138244&tid=106&tid=8
>
> Since I prefer to get my excitement outside of kernel hacking
> I have decided to stay away from 2.6

This is why you should take heed of the advice in the article and rely
on $DISTRO to Do The Right Thing. The Fedora Core 2 2.6.x kernel for
example, will have extra patches either to add more functionality, or
more commonly to add improvements to stability *without* adding extra
functionality that can change the expected behaviour.

Is there any reason you have to build your own apart from the usual
"because I can" reason, that couldn't be solved by taking the $DISTRO
provided kernel source package, tweaking to taste and rebuilding?

The "$DISTRO doesn't provide the latest version" is a bit of a straw man
these days considering the extra patch factor above.

Matt
--
"I know it's your T1 because our network guy teleported into the Baywatch
hub and checked it!"