[sclug] Not upgrading kernel to 2.6

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Jul 23 17:19:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 06:13:26PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 05:12:27PM +0100, Matt wrote:
> > Is there any reason you have to build your own apart from the usual
> > "because I can" reason, that couldn't be solved by taking the $DISTRO
> > provided kernel source package, tweaking to taste and rebuilding?
> Yeah I don't have a Hokey Kokey 3000 IDE controller nor am I ever likely
> to so I don't need to probe for it and all the myriads of devices that
> are probed for at boot.  I know what my processor is and I'd like to
> optimise for it.  I know that I want ACPI on my laptop but not on any of
> my old Pentium class servers etc. etc. etc.

I didn't read what you wrote did I.  Yes I could supply my own config
over the distro kernel although then you're rebuilding anyway.  I don't
know what the additional patches would do so it'd be another changelog
to read through.  I don't really see a problem with building my own
from pristine sources as opposed to Debian ones.

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|              "I get mail; therefore I am." - Dilbert               |_