[sclug] TCP/IP I think

tim tim at holmes.name
Sat Jul 24 13:31:40 UTC 2004

Hi all.
I am having another go at moving over completely to Linux, ( I have tried
several times, with varying success, but there is always some software I
need/ use that is only on windows mainly Dreamweaver.) I am hoping that I
can get Wine working. But the main problem I have at the moment is that
although I can dial up to the ISP, none of the applications, Mail, browsers,
etc seem to know that I have connected. I have done ifconfig and have an ip
address, but seem to have no connection to the application layer. I have
also tried putting in the DNS ip addresses rather than allowing it to look
dynamicaly and that does not seem to work.
Any ideas ? Is it possible the ISP could be a problem ? I am in Egypt (Home
is Binfield nr Bracknell) and they have strange ways of doing things ?

Anything to try would be much appreciated.

Tim Holmes
tim at holmes.name