[sclug] TCP/IP I think

tim tim at holmes.name
Mon Jul 26 18:16:34 UTC 2004

No I can't resolve ip addresses ping just hangs for a while and comes back
with unknown host

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 04:30:40PM +0300, tim wrote:
> I am having another go at moving over completely to Linux, ( I have
> tried several times, with varying success, but there is always some
> software I need/ use that is only on windows mainly Dreamweaver.) I am
> hoping that I can get Wine working. But the main problem I have at the
> moment is that although I can dial up to the ISP, none of the
> applications, Mail, browsers, etc seem to know that I have connected.
> I have done ifconfig and have an ip address, but seem to have no
> connection to the application layer. I have also tried putting in the
> DNS ip addresses rather than allowing it to look dynamicaly and that
> does not seem to work.

Can you ping the IP of the remote end of the PPP connection? (should be
~200ms if I remember back to my dialup days).  You'll find this in your
logs - it's in /var/log/syslog normally so try grep remote
/var/log/syslog once you've dialled up.

Can you ping IP addresses randomly on the Internet such as
193.201.200.46 ?

Can you resolve addresses?  e.g. host www.google.com

It could be all sorts of things really but answering those questions may
help us work out what's wrong.