[sclug] Crash Course

Alan Cocks aec at candt.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 21:09:24 UTC 2004

In article <20040728190041.36319.qmail at web25306.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>,
Major Stuart <stuartmajor at yahoo.co.uk> writes
>I am also a new to Linux and have installed Suse 9.0
>from a cover CD.  I am considering upgrade to 9.1 pro
>from a magazine cover DVD, do you recommend it?

for a newb I could find little difference. Although the manuals are
really worth having, they include some general advice and perspective,
not just a copy of the menus which some manuals do.
9.1 personal is free from iso image download, and 9.1 professional is
free if installed via ftp (not the easiest thing, but I managed it a few
times anyway)

stay with 9.0 until you really get restless!

>Also I tried to install open office to a multiuser
>single computer, and couldn't access if from both
>log-ins.  Any idea on how I install it from terminal?

I know. OO.o is a multi user app, and so is (for example) XP. I just
installed it again today, and had forgotten all this.

google search re install help advice etc for open office org will get
you the detailed info. But it amounts to installing the  /net option
(not the 'typical' I think) (presumably from the windows run command
etc), even in an apparently single user pc (if xp etc) (or presumably
linux too (root & user)(?)

then install the user app after.

alternatively, install twice, fully, one for each user (more disk space
taken etc, and not elegant)
--
Alan Cocks Berkshire UK