[sclug] Multi-format uncompress

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 18:57:34 UTC 2004

Simon,

>> I have found various programs that will uncompress individual formats
>> (so a shell script could use file suffix information to call the
>> appropriate program).  Does anybody know of a Linux program that can
>> deduce the format by looking at the file contents (and do the
>> uncompression)?
>
>I use lz and uz all the time.
>http://hjbaader.de/download/lz_e.html

Thanks for the pointer.  However, it is a script based on filename
suffixes.  The problem with this approach is that filename suffix is
not always a reliable indicator of format.

ps.  This script does have better cpio support than my current script.

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                            mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk