[sclug] PCMCIA *and* CardBus, at the same time?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Mar 8 15:50:44 UTC 2004

My home server, gate.cowlark.com, is a low-end laptop. It's doing most of its
I/O via a couple of PCMCIA cards.

I recently had occasion to upgrade it to a 2.6 kernel (for a variety of
reasons --- don't ask!). Unfortunately, I'm having rather a lot of trouble
getting the PCMCIA setup to work.

CardBus cards work fine; I plug the card in, it shows up on the PCI bus, and
any existing PCI driver finds it.

PCMCIA cards, however, don't. In particular, my Atmel wireless ethernet card
that I really rather urgently need doesn't work. When I insert the card, I
just get the message "Unable to apply power". A quick glance at the source
reveals that the kernel's tried to turn on the power for the card, but it's
failed. I suspect the issue is related to the fact that the card in slot 0 is
my Cardbus ethernet card, running at 3.3V, and the card in slot 1 is my
PCMCIA Atmel card, running at 5V.

(I am a little interested to know how the kernel works out whether the given
card is a 3.3V or 5V device, given that without applying some power it can't
read any of the CIS information...)

This is on a Toshiba Tecra 520CDT with the ToPIC PCMCIA chipset that's
notoriously dodgy. It did, however, use to work. With 2.4, I eventually had
to use the non-kernel PCMCIA drivers, but this isn't an option on 2.6.

Has anyone seen anything at all similar? Or suggest anything to try?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "`Aplysia californica' is your taxonomic
+- www.cowlark.com --+ nature." --- drushel on a.f.c