[sclug] [OT] avoiding Rich Text replies in MS Outlook

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Thu May 13 17:51:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 06:06:36PM +0100, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Users of Microsoft Outlook (like me when I'm at work) will
> > probably be aware of its penchant for Rich Text. In
> > particular, when replying to a message sent to you in Rich
> > Text format, you are forced to compose your message in Rich
> > Text format, with no option to use plain text. This has
> > implications for interoperability, for instance if you want
> > to Cc the reply to someone outside the local MS Exchange
> > zone, as well as general annoyance.
>
> After I hit reply, I have the option to use whatever text I like (Format >
> choose text type). Maybe you could open the message, edit it (Edit > Edit
> message), change it to plain text, then save it. Then reply.

That has been suggested to me before. Unfortunately, neither suggestions
work with Outlook 98 (or at least not with the local Outlook / Exchange
combination). There's simply no menu option that allows you to change
the message format. You only get that option when replying to HTML
e-mails, so that's not a problem. It's just that Outlook clients round
here come with this brain dead default of sending mail in Rich Text
format.

S.