[sclug] browser plugins

Damion Yates damiony at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu May 20 17:56:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Alex Butcher wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 May 2004, Neil Haughton wrote:
> >
> > > Doea anyone know how to install plugins for firefox (or
> > > mozilla)?
> > >
> > > I've done the obvious, but  no joy:
> > >
> > > 1. I installed the plugin using the installer( as root).  2. I
> > > copied (as root) the plugin (eg rpnp.so) to the firefox/plugins
> > > directory (eg /usr/lib/firefox/plugins) where the other plugins
> > > are, but when I start FF again, no plugin is displayed when I
> > > put about:plugins as the url
> > >
> > > So what am I missing out?
> > >
> > > Hope someone can unravel this for me.

If using the old G2 player (version8) player then when run as a user
you can click on the plugin install option under the help menu when
you've started the app.  Make sure realplay is in your path.

I used to use this even if I'd installed RealPlayer as root.  If I
recal this is a NS4 style local plugin install and mozilla was picking
it up on a profile conversion.

The .mozilla/plugins/ directory for me used to contain the .so and
.zip files and I've definitely had them work.  However Firefox is
likely to be xpt only compliant the old java technique was a legacy
workaround/kludge, because as I understand it none of realplay uses
java it was just for plugin compatibility in NS4 (or even NS3).

> > IIRC, the Realplayer plugin also requires raclass.zip to be copied
> > to the plugins directory. That would also imply that a working
> > Java Runtime Environment is necessary too.

> I've put a copy of raclass.zip in the .../firefox/plugins directory,
> and j2re has been installed (I can see the  java 1.4.2_02 gcc32
> plugin listed), and I've changed the rights on raclass.zip to
> rwxrwxrwx, but I still can't see it in Firefox.
>
> Does raclass.zip need to be unpacked or something? I'm sure I
> haven't had this trouble before.

On my Sun where I'm still using the old realplay (though updated with
V9 .so codecs for SPARC) with Mozilla1.4a or something, I have
raclass.zip and rpnp.so in ~/.mozilla/plugins, this works as does
other java apps for me though.  I assume you're running firefox or
mozilla from a command line so you can see any error messages
returned rather than a menu option in a window manager or windows
system?

Of course since realplayer10 was released there is little reason to
use such an old player.

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/downloads/

This will leave you with a nphelix.xpt and nphelix.so (xpt method for
plugins).  This uses less CPU, is XVideo aware and able to play the
latest AAC and Real10 audio and video.  Oh and Ogg and Mpeg4 etc..

Damion

--
Damion Yates - Maiden House, Vanwall Business estate, Maidenhead
email: Damion.Yates at bbc.co.uk - phone: +44 (0) 1628 407759 (ex: 0137759)