[sclug] Wireless Broadband in Slough and Windsor areas

John Dickson johnd at cavcomp.co.uk
Sun May 23 15:37:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:07:15 +0100, John Mullins <John.Mullins at tvu.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Simon and everyone else who replied,
>
> Thank you for your responses. I made the mistake years ago of changing
> my telephone to cable so I don't have a BT line.

I bet you do.  Surely BT wouldn't have physically removed the wiring to
your property? I still have three BT lines connected to my house, on which
I cancelled all BT services six years ago.

> It seemed a good idea at the time, getting rid of the noisy BT line and
> having a high quality cable piped to the house. Although the cable
> provider in this area is called Telewest Broadband, their name is a lie.
> In Slough and district they are NOT broadband and don't look like ever
> being so, hence my interest in Netvigator. This may be why they are
> targetting this area. I shall probably have to eat humble pie and go
> back to BT :-[ . Is any one else in this position? In the Reading area I
> believe you have broadband cable through NTL.

And we also have wireless DSL (both symmetric and asymmetric) through
Tele2 (originally), which begat Liberty Broadband, which begat Firstnet
Services WDSL, which begat Pipex WDSL

Don't get confused by the lack of detail about how the Netvigator service
is provided! It is a wireless service, and to connect to it you don't need
any form of telephone line (it specifically says on their website that the
modem does not connect to a telephone line).

I have spent immeasurable hours in the last five years going round the
houses with Tele2 and its successors, in attempt to get WDSL to both of
our locations in Caversham (batting average 0.5). The two major problems
were the need to erect an external aerial (one location is in a block of
flats where this is prohibited) and the problem of getting a clear
line-of-sight to one of their masts. So I was interested to see that there
is no mention of any work being necessary to erect an external aerial for
Netvigator.

I spent a somewhat frustrating half hour or so talking to a (sales)
support guy yesterday (Saturday) and at about the ninth attempt I finally
got him to explain that:

a) the modem they provide also contains the necessary aerial

b) because the frequency band (3.4 GHz)is lower than those originally
allocated to wireless DSL (4.5GHz I think)the modem can "see out" through
brickwork and/or roof tiles (if you want to put it in a roof space). This
is not possible at higher frequencies.

c) On the question of line-of-sight to a base station he was less
forthcoming, saying that the location of their base stations was a matter
of commercial confidentiality.  I was also given some pseudo-technical
b*ll*x about solving the problems caused by nearby trees, which is a
continuing nightmare for me.  However they do provide two "delivery
methods" If they think that you will not have any connectivity problems
they send you the modem by courier, you plug it in and away you go (Hmmm!
PPPoE permitting). Otherwise they send out the modem with an engineer who
will sort out the problems (even more Hmmm!).

As far as the Netvigator service being no better than ADSL over copper is
concerned, this is a marketing decision by them which I think is entirely
misguided, but I wouldn't let that worry you.  There are many new entrants
to the broadband connectivity market in the Thames Valley and, as is the
way of such things, this will all be rationalised by mergers and
acquisitions in the next 18 months or so. I think that the result of that
will be that (subject to local demand) everyone will be offered both ADSL
and SDSL over one or more of copper, wireless, and possibly the
electricity mains (see the Southern Electric trials in Winchester). My
guess is that this will be true by end 2006. I don't think this is the
place to expand much on this thesis (perhaps I'll write a longer essay and
post it on the web).

So you have three lines to pursue before you need to think about
re-connecting your BT line:

1) You have nothing to lose by following up Netvigator. If you can connect
to them you get an ADSL service at the usual price.  If they grow and
spread then market forces will either persuade them to offer SDSL, or they
will be taken over by someone who will.

2) I'm not sure how far the Pipex network extends in your direction but,
if you can put up an external aerial it's worth an enquiry.  I currently
have 512Kbs symmetric, with a reasonable contention, for ?85 + VAT per
month, and other packages are available.

3)The third option which is worth looking at now is that because BT are
already offering SDSL over copper as a "business package" (read usual BT
rip-off) in selected exchanges, the viability of the technology has
already encouraged Easynet into the market at much more realistic prices.
In Reading they are offering up to 1Mbit SDSL over copper (I think
contended at 10:1) at very realistic prices. The range is up to 3Km from
the relevant telephone exchange, so it would be worth checking out whether
Easynet are active in your area.

(For those in the Reading area - don't all rush!  Only the central Reading
exchange has been converted so if, like me, you are within 3Km but
connected to another exchange like Caversham then it's not available.
This makes me think that Easynet are simply retailing the BT service).