[sclug] Bulldog Broadband

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Mon Apr 11 12:56:43 UTC 2005

> > Who are you with, what speed do you currently have?
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I currently use ZetNet (www.zetnet.com).  Their service has
> been excellent generally, although support can be a bit
> annoying at times (office hours only).  They're pretty linux
> friendly although it's not an officially supported setup.
>
> The one issue I have with them is that they filter email to
> my SMTP server and you can't opt out.  I get a lot of mails
> from lists saying messages to me have bounced (ZetNet never
> inform you that they've bounced a mail on your behalf).
> In fact, they would open port 25 to my router which is
> blocked by default and I could set my box as the primary MX
> but I lose the security of being able to firewall off
> everyone except ZetNet's mail servers.  They would also
> categorically pull all support on mail issues if I requested
> this (even if I use them as a backup MX which I'd have to!)

I'm with Zen (512 line ATM), and have no problems. I get 8 IPs, unrestricted
access to the world (no port filtering) etc.

Slightly pricier than your run of the mill Bloggs broadband, but the support
is fantastic (office hours), and my only outage I am aware of was caused by
me. I run an IMAP/SMTP server on the end of mine, and access email every
feww minutes from work - so it is in use all day long.

Definitely recommended

believed to be clean.