[sclug] Kismet on Ubuntu

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 00:27:28 UTC 2005

Hamlesh Motah wrote:

> root at carbon:/home/hamlesh # aptitude install kismet
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done

My guess would be that this is the critical line, with the other errors
being ricochets. My guess would also be that you've inadvertently told
aptitude to "hold" a package which it thinks is broken, thus preventing
it from fixing it. (Aptitude is both feature-rich and reliable, but IMHO
the UI leaves somewhat to be desired; it's easy to foul up.)

Have you tried using apt-get directly, ie. apt-get install kismet ?

Kynaptic is nice and easy to use, but can't handle the heavy lifting
that aptitude can, so that probably won't help.

HTH

Will.