[sclug] xmms

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Mon Aug 8 20:20:17 UTC 2005

Hi there!

On Monday 08 August 2005 20:15, Major Stuart wrote:
> Does anyone now the default settings for xmms saving
> .wav files to my home directory?  It was saving them
> to file:/home/spookie/wav.  I foolishly changed them.
> Oops!

Can't help you there (in fact, please tell me how to save wavs with XMMS...
I'd love to know)

> I am very new to digital music and is a .wav the same
> as a .mp3?  Can I get xmms to save in .mp3 format?
> How do I do this?

I doubt XMMS will save MP3s itself. But if you've got a wav, just pass it
through Lame. Lame is a command-line MP3 encoder. WAVs in; MP3s out. Easy.
Most of the GUI programs that produce MP3s (such as Grip) use Lame as their
conversion engine.
If you haven't got Lame installed already, it might be in your SuSE package
list, or else look here: http://lame.sourceforge.net.

> Am running Suse 9.0 with kernel 2.4.21-243-athlon
> Would like to use Amarok but can not as yet find rpm.
> Also would like to use Suse 9.2/3 (any good?) and...
> KDE 3 something but not quite ready to do all that,
> perhaps another Linux User Day?

I don't know what it is about Amarok. Everyone raves about it, and says how
much better it is than XMMS, but I just can't bring myself to like it. I've
tried it out a few times, but I've yet to see what makes it so great. (*steps
back from the anticipated flaming onslaught*)

And re SuSE 9.0 -- Seriously, get yourself an upgrade: SuSE 9.2 and 9.3 are a
*big* step up from 9.0; KDE has had some significant improvements. (in fact,
Konq in 9.2 is actually good enough to use as a primary browser; it deals
with pretty much everything I've thrown at it).
And the other big (and quite important) improvement in 9.2 is that the auto
update now actually works... in 8.x and 9.0 I had huge trouble keeping my
system patched, because the auto update program just didn't do its job, but
since 9.2 it's been steady as a rock, and it has made a big difference.

Hope that helps  :)

   Simon C.

--
http://www.BadPuns.com - The site where you get your muds wordled.