[sclug] Ubuntu passwords

Spiros Kapetanakis spizkapa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 07:04:18 UTC 2005

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one real difference between
a system that has a proper root user and one that doesn't excpet for
sudo. A proper root user has his initialisation files in /home/root or
wherever. This is not the case with a sudo user who's files are by
default the same as the normal user and kept in the same place. So, if
you're starting a service of some sort (I have to start an
authentication service for work, for example), you may need to su and
not sudo to get it going, if your sysadmin doesn't know anything about
sudo, kinda like mine...

Spiros

P.S. Apologies if I've sent this twice, there was a glitch in the matrix...