[sclug] Promoting linux

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Tue Aug 16 11:32:38 UTC 2005

* alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> [2005-08-16 08:46:01]:

> Window managers, gui's etc are very significant to more experienced
> users, but to an off-street punter who is just getting interested in a
> different os from 'doze, is likely to see wm choice as uneccesary
> trouble and complication. It also feeds into some points against linux
> raised by $bill - 'linux has no defined base' (my quotes).
>
> I believe that total newbies will be more comfortable with mention of
> only one wm (kde?) - for a few months...........

I'm fairly sure any mention of this to a new user would result in
"What's a Window Manager?", best to just give it to them with the
introduction "This is Linux", as daft as it sounds, kind've like I was
taught Chemisty at various stages of education.

Matt
--
"I know it's your T1 because our network guy teleported into the Baywatch
hub and checked it!"