[sclug] Small hosting requirement

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Wed Aug 17 09:10:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 04:52:22PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> I'm looking for 1U, possibly 2U, of hosting (initially; may well be
> more later) somewhere between Reading and Bristol. No huge bandwidth
> requirement, but I must be able to get physical access if needed, and
> of course good availability.

Poundhost are the wrong side of Reading in Maidenhead - I know someone
with a tower there that would be too expensive to colo in London.  I've
seen the dedipower building but know no more about them.

Of course I'd not recommend competitors anyway ;)

However, if you have a linux box though and you are coloing it then have
a read of http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/guides/colo even if you're
not coloing with us.  It has some useful hints for configuring colo
servers whereever you end up putting them.

Also the Remote Serial Console HOWTO is a complete reference (sometimes
too complete ;)) http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/
It'll tell you how to configure the bootloader, kernel and a getty which
is always useful.

Once you have a serial console and power cycler you're pretty much setup
with a colo box.  If you can get serial BIOS so much the better or if
you're rich you can buy a Sun and get proper Lights-off-management.
Some prebuilt PC servers have LOM cards which all work to various
levels.

Simon.

--
 -+//                There was a young man from LeDoux,                \\+-
-+<<                Whose limericks stopped at line two.                >>+-