[sclug] Recovering partition tables

Damion Yates damiony at is.bbc.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 09:38:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Simon Huggins wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 04:32:29PM +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Peter Brewer wrote:
> > >Anyone know if I can recover any of the data?  The original
> > >partitions were Fat32 and Ext3.
> > <http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/> might be worth
> > a whirl.
>
> Yes, this has worked for me in the past.  Just a me too really.

Ditto.  I fixed a young cousins dual boot system where a virus scanner
in Windows had decided to write an old C: = "full disk" partition
table to the disk.

I had to run gpart in full slow scan mode and once it finished and I
set the partition table, it didn't work until I dd'ed over the
duplicate partition table that dos/doze creates and uses, this is
explained in the fdisk manpage.

Thanks,

Damion

--