[sclug] Re: [OT] Linux support for large HDD

Ian Park ian at chalmers-park.name
Mon Aug 22 08:59:04 UTC 2005

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:18:36 +0100
> From: Graham <lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk>
> Subject: [sclug] Re: [OT] Linux support for large HDD
> To: sclug at sclug.org.uk
>

> I had a problem with a Maxtor 120 G, on a K6/Sis box.
> The BIOS would pause at that disk, and not recognise it.
>
> The only answer was a jumper on the drive "Cap Limit"
> which limited the drive to 32G, then no problem
> (except the jumper for that had to be borrwed from ...)
>
> Maplin sell a PCI card with 2 IDE connectors,
> the market sells something expensive 'n slow.
> They might or might not involve the BIOS.
>
> --
>    Graham
>    gps @ Information-Cascade .co.uk
>    www . Information-Cascade .co.uk

Ebuyer [1] also sell a PCI card ATA 133 RAID controller - this would
have been my fallback if the old Highpoint card hadn't worked. The
Highpoint card has its own BIOS (which still sees the 160GB WD drive as
137GB), so I would think the principle will be the same for the Ebuyer
card. Of sourse, if you want to get really flash, you could go for a
SATA  adapter...

[1]
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10017024993&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60610

Ian