[sclug] Bizarre IMAP problem

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 17:35:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Darren Davison wrote:

> I'm tearing my hair out over this one and wondered if someone might be able to
> relieve some pain for me!
>
> Trying to get mail from an IMAP server which happens to be MS Exchange
> (ugh!) but the client is a linux laptop.  Connection is made over a Cisco
> VPN but otherwise the IMAP traffic goes to the plain text port 143 with no TLS
> involved.
>
> Using several different clients, the same problem is 100% repeatable: folders
> can be listed, messages in folders can be listed and message headers can be
> retrieved but any attempt to retrieve a message body results in the connection
> simply hanging until the client is killed.

To be completely clear, does the issue follow a specific message or user
account around?

If the answer to either of the above is "yes", I would suspect corruption of
the user's mailbox and/or a read error on a block that's occupied by that
user's mailbox or a message in that mailbox (I know Exchange only stores one
copy of a message that's CC'ed to many users).

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?