[sclug] Bizarre IMAP problem

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Thu Aug 25 10:13:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 10:56 +0100, Dickon Hood wrote:

> PPP is guaranteed to pass that, certainly.  The problem is that the MTU
> problem is at (least at) the *remote* end, not the local.  PMTUD is
> carried out by both ends at the same time, independently of each other
> (inbound and outbound paths may be different, so this makes sense,
> although it's generally frowned upon in practice), so setting the client
> MTU may not help.
>
> You'll need to set the server MTU, or locate the buggy device.  Being
> Windows, you're probably screwed...

(grr, reposting to list address now)

If the problem is at the remote end, why does no-one else have issues
talking to it, and why does my WiFi card in the same laptop also have no
problem with it?  That doesn't seem to gel, but admittedly I'm out of my
depth a little at this level of network discussion.

Cheers,

--
Darren Davison
Public Key: 0xDD356B0D