[sclug] Bizarre IMAP problem (SOLVED)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 15:08:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Darren Davison wrote:

> It was the network driver.
>
> Switched from e100 to eepro100 and everything works perfectly.

Ack! I've had horrid problems like that before now; Astaro Security Linux
picked the wrong driver for a NIC I have that should use the fealnx driver.
Symptoms were that UDP and ICMP worked, but TCP didn't because the TCP
checksum got messed up (IIRC, that was the behaviour, anyway).

At first, I thought my sniffer (ethereal - feature rich, but I'm not
entirely confident of its quality in places) was calculating the checksums
wrongly and ignored the packets being reported with broken checksums!

> Many thanks to everyone who offered help - I've learnt a lot about
> ethernet that I didn't know before from this thread.

The question is; did you /want/ to? ;-)

> Cheers!

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?