[sclug] Jukebox

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Fri Aug 26 23:30:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 22:50:37 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
: Ahoy,

: I've been wanting some kind of stereo device for a while now, but I've
: recently got some money to finally sort one out.

: Basically I want to be able to store my OGG collection on a box that will:

: - plug into my PC speakers, and eventually a decent set of speakers + amp
: - allow me to browse and manage playlists

: At the moment I'm considering either building up a shuttle PC, plugging it
: into my TV and running a stripped down GNU/Linux set-up on it. That way I get
: all the power of software like amaroK in a small, quiet box. I also thought
: about trying to find a really small laptop so it stays out of the way but
: also has a screen with it.

If you're after sticking it behind the telly, may I ask why..?

: The problem with these two solutions is that they're still quite pricey. A
: basic Shuttle PC with TV-out goes for around ?350, whilst the laptop would
: need to be second hand and I'm not too happy with the prospect of it packing
: up a year later.

: Has anyone else done anything similar, and if so what do they suggest?

I'm using a Mac Mini for this.  It's small -- an over-sized CD by about
40mm -- quiet (very), and plays DVDs nicely using the likes of mplayer.
There's a Debian port, but I've not tried that yet; apt-get for MacOS
works tolerably well.

No cheaper, but works nicely.  And runs Unix.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.