[sclug] PHP, MySQL, Apache + Mambo / Joomla

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 20:50:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Steve Lane wrote:

> Can anybody point me at any good references on how to configure PHP, MySQL,
> Apache + Mambo / Joomla on either Windows or Linux.  I want to build a CMS
> on a spare PC and expose it to the Internet.  However efforts to configure
> httpd.conf, php.ini and MySQL have failed so far.  I have tried to work it
> out on Windows and Linux (CentOS).

If you stick to the distro packages for PHP, MySQL and Apache, you should
find that they'll all Just Work together without any integration/tinkering.
if the docs for the application you're trying to get going (i.e. Mambo,
Joomla) includes instructions to get PHP, MySQL and Apache working, you're
probably better off /almost/ ignoring them. Perform the intermediate checks
they suggest - if any - and only follow the preceding instructions if the
checks fail.

Running PHP, MySQL and Apache on Windows will almost certainly put you in
the very fringes of any userbase, thus limiting the number of people who may
be able to help you, so I'd suggest running them on some kind of UNIX.

<http://centos.karan.org/> is worth a poke around for supplemental packages
for CentOS, though I note neither Mambo nor Joomla appears to be packaged
for CentOS yet.

> Many Thanks,
> Steve

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?