[sclug] Instant Messenger that supports audio and video

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Dec 15 15:30:46 UTC 2005

Ahoy,

On Thursday 15 December 2005 15:18, Rob White wrote:
> I've recently moved to using Ubuntu Linux from
> Microsoft Windows.
>
> I used to use Microsoft Messenger for audio and video
> conferencing with friends is there an alterative for
> Linux that'll do the same and work with Messenger?

Gaim and Kopete will do some of what you want. I know that Kopete recently had
MSN and Yahoo! webcam capabilities built in, but I don't know how well they
work. That new version of Kopete isn't in Ubuntu Breezy (the stable version)
yet though, so you'll need to follow this page:
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-35.php

Gaim probably has something similar and won't require any of that magic...

Give them a go :-) Otherwise, bash Microsoft over the head for changing the
way their software works every five minutes so that developers have to keep
hacking away to work out how to be compatible!

Kind regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com