[sclug] Victim of unprovoked power pailures

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Fri Dec 16 08:07:19 UTC 2005

Hmmmm,

I have had scenarios similar to this in the past, and in those particular cases it was a bad disk block in the swap partition. Solution was to just remove and recreate the swap areas (or use a new file based swap area - depending on how much time I wanted to spend on it)
..its a long time ago now, so this could be a complete "red herring"....

Regards,

martin
(Martin Summers)

Hi all,

My laptop/firewall which had Debian Slink installed aeons ago and has
served as a reliable mail server for 6 years has finally started to
protest after years of being turned off by builders messing about with
the fusebox and the missus messing about with the hoover.

Last night there was a power failure in Earley whcih lasted over an hour
and when i got up this morning, it wasn't working right.

enterprise root # /etc/init.d/samba restart
Stopping Samba daemons: /etc/init.d/samba: line 81:  3818 Segmentation
fault      sleep 1
nmbd/etc/init.d/samba: line 81:  3823 Segmentation fault      sleep 1
  smbd.
/etc/init.d/samba: line 81:  3827 Segmentation fault      sleep 1
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

Also it wasn't providing NAT services.  In my house this is an emergency
as both my sons would sooner miss dinner than their daily fix of World
of Warcraft.

I've got a little dlink adsl wireless router to provice connectivity.
I'd like ot see if the laptop is worth saving so I ran dmesg.  a small
portion of the output follows after my sig.  If anyone can tell whether
there's a hardware problem, if the Debian install is revoverable or if
its a case of format and restart, I'd be grateful.

Patrick