[sclug] Victim of unprovoked power pailures

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 17:50:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Bob Franklin wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Patrick wrote:
>
>> Last night there was a power failure in Earley whcih lasted over an hour
>> and when i got up this morning, it wasn't working right. ...
>
> As an aside, I'm sure power cuts are becoming much more frequent than they
> used to be 20 years or so ago.

Yes, I've noticed this too. I think it's a post-privatisation trend, caused
by a shift in priorities from security and stability of the supply, to cost
effectiveness and profitability (ensuring security + stability usually
entails extra costs, one way or the other).

At first I thought it was just that Reading's electricity was particularly
bad (I lived there from '97 to '02) but upon moving back to Bristol ('74-'92,
'95-'97) it seems to be as bad, if not worse, here. That said, my parents
out on the outskirts don't tend to experience cuts and glitches as
frequently as I do in the inner city.

>  - Bob

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?