[sclug] Disable 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' reboots

J.Mann jon at spinis-associates.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 23:21:55 UTC 2005

> I've finally had the spare minute to find out how to prevent the 3 fingered
> salute from rebooting my IPCop firewall (I think) - /etc/shutdown.allow

Yes, that is one technique.

> Is this normally installed on Linux boxes? - I'd have thought that any
> 'server' based machine would have it on, as opposed to the default of having
> it off - so to speak ;-)

I would expect that it is the responsibility of the admin to create it,
where required. It depends whether the system is going to recieve "rogue"
ctrl-alt-del's.

> But I'm new to all of this so thought I'd ask the experts.

The 3FS is handled by init. You can have it do whatever you like
(shutdown, send email, launch fireworks :)

  jon at pluto:~$ cat /etc/inittab | grep ctrlaltdel
  ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

As usual, "man inittab" is your friend.

Regards,
Jon Mann.