[sclug] Reply-to: sclug?

Alan Cocks aeclist at candt.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 21:18:18 UTC 2005

John Stumbles wrote:
> Having yet again cluelessly replied to the sender of a message rather
> than the list can I suggest/request that whoever maintains this list set
> it so that messages from the list have either From: or Reply-to: the list?
>
> Or has this been discussed & dismissed before for some reason?
>
> cheers

This is something I had not (yet) noticed. I have recently changed mail
cients from (demon) Turnpike to Thunderbird (TB) 1.0, still mostly being
on 'doze but planning to get to linux asap, still using TB.

In TB - a reasonably well formed mail client, but still needing work I
think, I now see I have to select not 'Reply' but 'Reply to All', and
then I have to delete the sender, leaving the group as remaining entry.

I dont know enough to say what is in fact wrong, but having just checked
what the Turnpike mail client does - I see it is aware I am in a group
or list context (since it has a list set-up facility), and clearly asks
if I want to Follow up (list) or reply to sender individually.

I have wanted to use TB  for its cross platform advantages, and also to
support and encourage its use. Unfortunately some of these looe edges
are inconvenient, some not obvious.  I hope and trust TB will mature
quickly, certainly is is generating a lot of interest.

--
AlanC