[sclug] Streaming audio

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 10:20:49 UTC 2005

I have NTL's basic cable broadband and yes the speed isn't great (128
or 160 kbps I think) but it is fairly consistent - so music encoded at
112kbps (roughly similar to cassette quality) should be possible.

To try it out with minimal effort I suggest you:

poke a hole in your firewall to allow access to port 80 from your work
IP (if port 80 isn't already open).
Set up a very simple web page on your server with a link to an mp3 /
ogg file (you might want to try both to see subjectively which sounds
better) somewhere on your machine that's accessible from apache (under
/var/www/html on Mandrake)
test this at home (on the same machine will do)
try it out at work

note that some media players (e.g. winamp) allow you to set a certain
amount of time (e.g. 5 secs) to buffer playback which helps avoid your
music conking out if there's a transient blip along the way.

if that works then you can enhance things by
1) investigating a streaming media server - never done this myself but
I'm sure there are bags of free ones
2) using no-ip's free service (www.no-ip.org) to get a dynamic dns name
(if you don't already have one) e.g mine is wyper.no-ip.org (don't
bother visit the site, it's only got a personal photo gallery).  As
well as registering you'd need to download and install their duc and
get it to run on bootup - I can help you with this if needs be.

HTH
James.