[sclug] LVM & 2Tb limit

Alan Pearson alandpearson at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 16:29:09 UTC 2005

Hi Guys

Question

I've read that kernel 2.4 suffers from a 2 TB limitation on Block
devices.
I need to create a logical volume of around 12TB on a RHEL 3.0 system,
which also runs kernel 2.4 (albeit a RH kernel).

Has anyone any ideas if this is possible ?
Is this limitation eliminated in kernel 2.6 / LVM 2?

Also is there any disadvantage to having such a large filesystem (I'm
going with reiserfs (I don't want to hear about ext3 !))
The files that are stored there will be GBs in size so I'm not imaging
hundreds of thousands of files.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
AlanP