[sclug] Leave a process running after logging out?

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 12:27:43 UTC 2005

My preferred way of doing this, which may be overkill and may not be
suitable for you, but at least is idiot-proof, is to set up a VNC
server on the box to run at bootup and log in to that. If you close the
VNC client then it doesn't affect the server.  It also allows you to
check progress from anywhere that can connect to the server (and that
you've allowed access to in the VNC config / your firewall).

This suits my circumstances quite well (always-on linux box in the
garage; other occasionally-on computers that I flit between in warmer
parts of the house).

FreeNX should do the same thing more efficiently but I haven't had a
chance to install it yet.

James.