[sclug] Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

David Newcomb david.newcomb at bigsoft.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 10:42:07 UTC 2005

Dickon Hood said:
> I also agree with someone at sun.com (I forget who; it's quite irritating)
> about disc partitioning: don't bother.  One big / slice is easier to
> manage, and isn't much of a problem if you're careful.

I also agree with this. It also means there is only 1 partition table
held in memory (and being worked on). If a machine has 4 or 5 partitions
then there will be a performance overhead with that. I  tried this a
couple of years ago and there is a marked improvement in having a single
'/' partition.

Regards,
David