[sclug] Mail system explanation wanted please

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 5 18:23:50 UTC 2005

Hi people,

I could use some advice.

I generally use Thunderbird for my email, connected direct to my ISP POP
and SMTP servers. Classic domestic arrangement, you might say.

Trouble is that I like to ring the changes with different MUA's (keeps
me young at heart, you see), but at the same time I don't like losing
all my email each time I try something new. The ideal would be if I
could keep all my mail (and address book) in some local folders (on my
machine) in a format that a variety of MUA's would understand.

I get the feeling that I need procmail or postfix or something else set
up on my machine, but I can't figure out (probably because I've had
years of Windows being drummed into my head and the Linux way is all
very strange to me)  how to point say Thunderbird, KMail or Evolution at
the local folders, and how and what to use to collect the mail from my ISP.

Can someone give me a conceptual overview of what I should be doing? If
I had the big picture, as it were, in my head I could probably work out
the details myself by reading the documentation.

TIA

Neil.