[sclug] IMAP server

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Jul 10 16:57:02 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 July 2005 16:28, Dickon Hood wrote:
[...]
> My main complaint about IMAP is that it's hideous; it's remarkably hard to
> talk.  University of Washington.  Ick.  And I thoroughly endorse the
> comments from others here about avoiding uw-imapd; I run Dovecot myself.

Just *parsing* IMAP is hideously non-trivial --- the grammar's a pig, and is
full of horrible context-sensitive keywords which means that the tokeniser
has to be aware of what the parser's doing. I'm not well up on parser theory,
but I think that it just can't be done with a LL(1) parser.

Plus the protocol's so, so, so *fussy* that you end up with lots of weird
interactions between implementations. One particular server might work well
with Thunderbird but suck with kmail; another server might be unusably slow
with mutt, blazingly fast with pine, and cause Outlook Express to fall over
(which admittedly isn't hard).

That said, I've had good experiences with dovecot and Thunderbird/kmail. It
just seems to Just Work, which is what's supposed to happen.

(Has anyone produced a WebDAV-based mailstore yet?)

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)