[sclug] pmount and umount in kubuntu *RESOLVED*

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Jul 17 00:16:01 UTC 2005

I wondered why my followup query* to Chris And Alex's replies to my
original question elicited no responses: I've just realised I did a
'reply' and thus sent it only to Chris instead of the list.

GAH!! I HATE THE BROKEN BLOODY From: / LACK OF Reply-To ON THIS LIST
</rant></foam>

OK, I feel better now. :-) Sorry, I know we've had this debate before.

Anyway, I found the answer to the how-to-umount-from-pmount problem:
pumount. D'oh!

FWIW I also found that to allow other users to pmount/pumount devices
they have to be members of plugdev, which wasn't self-evident to me :-)

--
John Stumbles

[* my post which didn't get to the list]

Alex Butcher wrote:
> You don't umount the blockdev, but the mountpoint. Try
>
>     umount /media/sda1

Nope:
john at stonehenge:~/pix$ umount /media/sda1
umount: /media/sda1 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

Chris Hannam wrote:
> You need to umount the dir its mounted to. Run
>
> sudo umount /media/sda1
>
> instead as you trying to umount the device not the dir its mounted on

that works, and I can also sudo umount /dev/sda1, but why do I need to
be root? I _mounted_ it as non-root, and I can unmount it as non-root
via the gui so there must be a way to do it at the command line or in a
script. Mustn't there?

(I want to write a script to mount a camera's flash card, read the
contents, process them, then unmount the card again. I want this script
to be runnable by other users on my system who are not sudoers.)