[sclug] OT: Mmmm, too hot...

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Fri Jul 22 22:28:41 UTC 2005

* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2005-07-22 22:44:34]:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, James Beckett wrote:
>
> >Rebooted itself a few times while I was watching last Fri night, and now
> >is being a steadfast dead duck. No POST beeps, no nothing. Any thoughts on
> >things to try before I have a go at wrestling with Dabs to take the mobo
> >back under (manufacturer's) warranty?
>
> Disconnect the PSU, disconnect everything connected to it (VGA, keyboard,
> USB devices etc.), then disconnect all internal peripherals bar the CPU.
> Re-attach the PSU, and give it a whirl. Hopefully, you'll get beeps
> indicating missing RAM and/or VGA card. Start adding components back,
> starting with internal peripherals.

I've had a similar issue with a Socket A-era Abit mobo, symptoms being
CPU fan spins up, hard drives, etc. but no VGA signal and no POST beeps.

Replaced PSU fixed it. One of the mobo-only voltage rails must have been
wonky, hence everything else spinning up.

You can get ATX PSU testers from Dabs, made by Antec IIRC that will
create a load on the PSU to get it to start up and then you can use a
voltmeter on the various points to measure the voltages. About 7UKP, I
keep meaning to get one to work through a pile of undetermined broken
ATX PSUs.

Matt
--
"I know it's your T1 because our network guy teleported into the Baywatch
hub and checked it!"