[sclug] CSS

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Oct 20 10:45:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:59:47AM +0100, Jonathan Leighton wrote:
> "Other layouts just use CSS table rendering to duplicate the
> functionality of the <TABLE> tag, which is cheating..." -- Using the
> table *ELEMENT* for layout is cheating; it's non-semantic and messy.
> Besides, I haven't actually seen any of these layouts you mention.

However if you want to satisfy IE5 on Mac[0], we found it necessary to
use <table> for Black Cat's front page for instance.  It was a known
float/clear bug IIRC.

But then we're not trying to be style purists, just to have sane
webpages.

[0] Sadly still quite popular on old Macs.

--
Simon Huggins  \ '<blitz> huggie: je sais je suis nulle...mais je suis
                \ tr?s tetue alors ?a compense :)' #parinux