[sclug] Dell desktop for 175GBP inc. delivered - offer closes 2/11/2005

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Thu Oct 27 13:08:42 UTC 2005

* John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> [2005-10-27 13:48:23]:
> Alex Butcher wrote:
> >2.53GHz Celeron D 325 (256KB cache, 533MHz FSB)
> >512MB memory (free upgrade from 256MB until 23/11/2005)
> >80G HDD
> >48x CD-Rom drive (DVD is 15GBP+VAT extra)
> >USB mouse + keyboard
>
> Thanks Alex. I've been thinking of getting a new PC: the current one
> takes 10s of secs to open up apps or windows, refresh views in konq etc.
> and I'm thinking maybe a PIII/600+256M isn't quite up to running Azureus
> (Java), Ffox, Tbird, OOo, konq etc under kde, let alone with >1 users
> running GUIs on it :-)

Azureus sucks on everything I've tried to run it on, it's far more
unusable than anything realistically should be running on my SMP MP2800+
system.

One to argue with against the "Java isn't slow" crowd.

Matt
--
"I never deal with the common man. The common man has no spirituality.
The common man thinks that Ganesha is Dennis the Menace's dog."