[sclug] Azureus (was: Dell desktop for 175GBP...)

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:19:24 UTC 2005

On 27/10/05, John Stumbles <john at stumbles.org.uk> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> > Azureus sucks on everything I've tried to run it on, it's far more
> > unusable than anything realistically should be running on my SMP MP2800+
> > system.
>
> I like the way you can set a maximum bandwidth so it doesn't clobber
> your network connection, and it'll use the remainder of the b/w you've
> allocated on another download if the current one is going at less than
> the allocated rate. I just wish it wouldn't use up so much memory.
>
> Is there anything else that will do this more economically (for Linux,
> natch)

btdownloadcurses --max_upload_rate

and

btlaunchmanycurses with the same parameter are what I use to download.
Azureus is just too much of a memory and CPU hog - even on this 2GB
RAM laptop, I wont run it. the curses interfaced bit torrent clients
have the benefit that you can run them in a screen on another machine,
close screen and leave them running.

Cheers,
Al.