[sclug] USB card won't come out to play

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 19:15:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Can anyone help with a little problem that is teasing me at the moment?
>
> My motherboard has USB2 build in, but I've used all 4 ports and need some
> more.  I picked up a PCI USB1.1 card (fine for mouse and printer) on the
> cheap at Maplins, and I thought I could just plug it in and I'd be away. But
> no, the card just isn't recognised. I've checked the BIOS to see if there is
> something to switch on or off, and the only thing I could find was Legacy USB
> support, which I enabled. No improvement - the ports aren't even shown in
> USBView.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Not yet, my crystal ball is on the blink.

> What have I missed?

Lots of useful information you could have told us, like:

- which distro are you running?
- do you have all the updates for that distro installed?
- what's the version of the kernel you're using?
- what does dmesg say after booting?
- what kernel modules do you have loaded?
- what chipset is used on the USB1.1 card?
- have you tried plugging some USB-powered device in? Does it indicate that
it's getting power?
- have you tried using the card with any other OS on the system? Did it work
there?

> TIA
> Neil

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?