[sclug] USB card won't come out to play

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 13:24:11 UTC 2005

> Works here. I have the OHCI USB 1.1 controllers on the motherboard
> with
> a UHCI/EHCI USB 2.0/IEEE1394 VIA PCI card. Everything works as
> expected,
> which is not 100% perfect but close enough :-/

Works for me too, but only on the second attempt (with a Belkin branded
card; my first attempt with a brand X (Safecom?) USB2 card only worked
at 1.1 speed).

If Windows won't recognise it, and it didn't come with drivers, the
chances are IMO that you have a hardware problem.  Could you move the
card into a different slot to rule out the motherboard as the source of
trouble?  Or even into a different PC if you have one?  If it won't
work in any slot under Windows you should have grounds for returning
it.

When I was looking for Linux-compatible USB cards a few weeks ago
(before buying the Belkin) I set up an ebay search agent for a Sitecom
card since it's known to work well with Linux; co-incidentally I got an
alert a day or so ago so if you want to try another card it's probably
worth a punt.  I don't think they are available new any longer.

http://search.ebay.co.uk//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=sitecom+usb+pci